19 August 2009

Trends: Ultimate Australian Cupcake Directory

After seeing the delectable cupcakes from Tabitha's Place at the Boutique Markets at Portside Wharf, I just had to put together a round-up of cupcakes from Australia for your mouth-watering pleasure. Check out the cupcake directory for QLD, Sydney, Melbourne below - I will continue to add to this round-up with Adelaide, Perth, Tasmanian and regional cupcakes. Let me know if I need to add your favourite!

Brisbane Cupcakes

Couture Cupcakes

Choc Hazelnut cupcake
Image: Cupcake Couture

Tabitha's Place


Apple, Maple and Pecan cupcake with maple icing and toffee shards
Image: Steph Bond



Image: Leanne Stamatellos
Check out my previous post on The Cupcake Company here.

Image: Cupcakes By K


Rockn Road cupcake
Image: The Cupcake Parlour

Carousel's Cupcakes

Chilli Chilli Chocolate cupcakes
Image: Carousel's Cupcakes

Image: A Little Slice of Heaven

Image: MySweetopia


Sunshine Coast Cupcakes
Cupcake Cuisine

Eden Cupcakes

Gold Coast
Cupcakes

Sprinkles cupcake
Image: Simply Cupcakes


Lemon Coconut Meringue cupcake
Image: Cupcake Passion

Sydney Cupcakes

Tiramisu cupcake
Image: Cupcakes on Pitt

Red Velvet cupcake
Image: The Cupcake Bakery
Melbourne store opens in July 2009.

Image: My Little Cupcake

Image: Sparkle Cupcakery

The Cupcake Factory
Classic cupcake with pink sprinkles
Image: The Cupcake Factory

Newcastle Cupcakes

Cherry Blossom cupcakes
Image: Hello Naomi


Melbourne Cupcakes


Cupcake Central

Cupcake Corner
Yellow Ducks Cupcakes

The Cupcake Queens


Sugadeaux Cupcakes

Little Cupcakes

Sweetcheeks Cookies and Cakes
Mini cupcakes

The Cupcake Kitchen
Bows cupcakes

Three Sweeties

Rose and daisy cupcakes

Crabapple Cupcakes and Supplies

Flourless cupcake

Sweet! Cupakes and Treats

Sweethut Cupcakes


Adelaide Cupcakes

Lavish Cupcakes
Simple flower cupcake

Delicious Cupcakes

Afternoon Tea Cupcakes

Miss Cupcakes
Choc Orange Explosion cupcake

Bliss Cupcakes

Pink Frosting Cupcakes

Cheesecake Surprise cupcakes

We all know that cupcakes have been a major food trend for the past decade, and the desire with which folks pursue the perfect cake has not dwindled in that time. I remember when cupcakes were plain spongecake patties with a round scooped out the top, replaced with whipped cream, and then the scoop cut in two and replaced on top of the cream as "butterfly wings". You know what I'm talking about.

Now, cupcakes are incredible works of art, I believe ignited by the Magnolia Bakery cupcakes from Sex and the City. Cupcakes soon started to take prominence in bakeries and patisseries, and then cupcake-only stores sprung up in all the major cities.

These days, cupcakes are a suitable alternative to a wedding cake, perfect for a baby shower and a must-have at kids' birthday parties.

I'm interested in your favourite cupcakes - recipes and secret sources. And have I missed your favourite cupcake shop? Let me know!

24 comments:

  1. Those tiny teddy cupcakes are adorable....

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know - I'm really mean, aren't I.

    ReplyDelete
  3. this post is unfair! On the bright side I'm now able to close my donna hay in the hope that I can order some of these babies as a birthday cake substitute - so thanks for the inspiration.

    ReplyDelete
  4. yummy post - mouth watering stuff from down under...

    ReplyDelete
  5. I recently stayed in Sydney and our hotel was slap bang besides Cupcakes on Pitt!
    Oh my god they are beautiful. Too good to eat, I couldn't decide and had to buy 6 for breakfast one day!
    The attention to detail to eat cake is amazing. Yummo!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love the Cupcake Factory (http://www.thecupcakefactory.com.au/index.html)in Sydney. The cupcakes are devine and their staff are great at planning an event. They did individual named ones for each bubs at our combined Mother's group first birthday party. Oh and the fact they are one block away from my house is great!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Glad you all like! Even though this was a very evil article to put together. Great to hear Kelly that you loved Cupcakes on Pitt; and thanks Anon for the Cupcake Factory tip; I added it today.

    ReplyDelete
  8. When u visit us in Perth,drop in and have a Heavenly cupcake.The best in the West!!!!

    www.heavenlycupcakes.net.au.

    Ta,amanda

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh sorry, I forgot to add my name, I was anonymous - now you can call me Dani.
    I wish I had a 'sniff-and-smell' laptop - those pics are delicious looking.

    cheers
    Dani
    ( I would link to my blogger account but am too embarrassed by the lack of activity on my 'blog' and I keep forgetting to put my name on posts)

    ReplyDelete
  10. You're on, Amanda. Heavenly cupcake will be the first one for Perth.

    Thanks for the re-intro Dani! Oh, and don't be embarrassed about linking to your blog. It's all good, whether you've updated it once or every day.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Yum yum yum... Just had lunch but feel like something sweet now!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I attended a 21st on the weekend and the cupcakes were purchased from cupcake occasion... Absolutely devine, the best cupcakes I have ever tasted. Their website is www.cupcakeoccasion.com.au

    ReplyDelete
  13. Yummm, these aaaall look so good. I've actually had the pleasure of ordering from Sweetcheeks Cookies and Cakes a number of times. The taste is amazing and they're so cute in so many designs! I'd love to try other cupcake places, but when you're onto a good thing....you know :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Little Miss Cupcake in Haynes street,Kalamunda WA has the cutest shop ever!! The cupcakes are to die for they look amazing and they taste even better!!!! You have to see the shop its so pretty!!

    ReplyDelete
  15. A relatively new business operating in Ballarat regional Victoria but servicing Melbourne too for large orders is Itty Bitty Bites. These are the most delicious flavoured cupcakes!!! They actually taste as good as they look! Check out the website http://www.ittybittybites.net

    ReplyDelete
  16. Dont forget Sweet Fix Cupcakes in Brisbane. They are new but totally fresh!

    ReplyDelete
  17. I know its probably bad to self promote but we are a new cupcake place on the scene and really think we need to be on here. Possibly better then any cupcakes you have listed. Babington is our name and we are located on the gold coast. Don't have a website just yet but we will soon. Can supply some piictures if you wanted to have a look and perhaps post us on your blog.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Great, thanks guys. Will add these for sure. Wesley, please feel free to send pics and website (when you have it) to stephbond at gmail dot com.

    ReplyDelete
  19. If you want delicious, amazing cupcakes...try these


    http://www.babingtonhouse.com.au

    ReplyDelete
  20. Hi Stephanie , iv just found your blog and its such a great idea !
    i love the club feeling of like minded cupcake obsessed people !
    ive been baking cupcakes now for 3 years and currently live in Port Hedland W.A
    i run my"Cupcakebliss" business from home and supply some cafes and private /corporate events .
    my blog is http:mycupcakebliss.blogspot.com
    ill keep checking your list . its very exciting thank you !

    ReplyDelete
  21. I like your amazing cupcakes.
    The cupcakes are to die for they look amazing and they taste even better......

    ReplyDelete

Your comments make my day :)